Hiring Organization / Company: Vassar College
Basic Salary: To Be Discussed
Employement Type: Full-Time
Animal Care Specialist - L
Department: Dean of the Faculty Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Work Schedule: Tuesday - Saturday; 8:30am - 5:00pm
Employee Type: Staff
Posting Date: 04/26/2021
Union Representation: CWA
Posting Number: AS061P
Pay Rate: $16.00/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
This entry level position is ideal for those interested in careers in laboratory animal research or veterinary medicine. Regular work schedule is Tuesday - Saturday.
- Perform animal husbandry duties for rats, mice, other rodents, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and other organisms, complying with all procedures and internal guidelines.
- Perform daily animal health observations and communicate health issues to appropriate personnel.
- Operate equipment and use supplies according to safety guidelines, perform general housekeeping and adhere to safety procedures.
- Maintain exacting hygienic standards and practice clean room technique as instructed.
- Provide work direction to student employees and perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be willing to work some holidays and one weekend day/week, as well as occasional overtime hours.
- Associates degree in Animal Husbandry, Biology or related field required, bachelors degree preferred.
- A minimum of one year of relevant previous experience in an animal care facility, a veterinary facility, a clinical setting or a research setting required.
- Proficiency with basic technical procedures, knowledge of clean room techniques or willingness and ability to learn them quickly required.
- Good working knowledge of word processing software and email.
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills, focus and attention to detail and ability to follow exacting written and verbal instructions.
- The job requires the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Requires the ability to undertake physical work, repetitive motion and to regularly move, position, place, push and pull up to and including 50 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1868.
Job Location Information:
Location: Poughkeepsie, Ny 12604
Date Posted: 2021-05-04
Share this job on:
Top 10 Tips When Finding a Job
If that you’re not kidding approximately in search of Jobs, you will agree that it is one of the toughest jobs nowadays. Normally, you are going to have no clue where or what to search for within the job market. The great thing is that you’re not on your own. There are a few other folks out there who are jobless such as you. Finding a job even in a commercial center will also be simple if you recognize where to start out. Before you begin your job searching procedure, listed here are guidelines to help you to find your dream job.
1. Job Facilities
Job companies are an improbable and regularly lost sight of hots pot for locating Jobs. Job firms commonly provide very important coaching, assets, and techniques for job seekers. Those firms will also be in particular helpful for younger job seekers or the ones with little working experience. A simple Internet scan for job firms to your areaought to uncover where and how to get to them.
2. Temporal companies
Many firms choose to have their positions dispatched by means of temporal agencies. The tip purpose for that may be to economize on consultant benefits like healthcare. Temporally companies likewise supply corporations the way of screening candidates. Employment products and services can commonly be a sooner and not more daunting job than finding direct employment. An employment company might likewise become into a long lasting process for the people who carry out smartly during their running.
3. Free job look services
This can be a waste of money when cash is now tight within the first place. After all, the money you pay for job searching sites is imposed deductible if you are on a job. It’s smarter to make use of the money to pay for expenses.
4. Look at the nearby school
When finding a job, never forget your school. Some schools additionally have coordinate contract positions, so check with them can be useful in finding a new career. If you talk with your teachers, they will be on the lookout for positions that match your training and experience. Some schools may need you to go to their offices for an informal interview. Here you can step through an examination on their PC. You’ll talk with a recruiter to examine exactly what you want.
Newspapers are often an overlooked apparatus for finding Jobs. Smaller businesses still use newspapers as their method when looking for Job applicants. Most newspapers will have their job listings online too. Some may ask the companies to have the listings online. There could be listings in the paper that don’t appear online.
6. Foot hunts
If that you are tired by ineffective attempts at finding a job using one of the above methods, getting out and looking for employers will yield better results. Showing up in person often demonstrates determination and initiative that most employers will find alluring in a potential representative.
7. Online Forums
Joining online forums is another good way of finding your new job. Here you will get companies that are ready to hire you and work with you. Make sure that you join as many online job finding as possible. Ensure that you describe your profile well so that your employers can know who you are.
8. Look at corporate websites
Most corporate websites are good places that can give a job. Look for websites and companies which you would love work with. On the careers page find out if there an open vacancy which matches your expertise. You can also send an email to the HR and ask for consideration.
9. Ask friends
Friends are the best at finding jobs. Before you go out, call all your friends and ask if they have any job connections that match your skills. In most cases, the job search connection will be wide and at last, you will land on one vacancy.
10. Make application regularly
Never be tired of applying. Make sure that you keep on applying for the new jobs that are posted every day. Avoid mentioning that you have done ten applications so far.
When finding a Job, don’t waste time on applications that are complicated for a job you don’t know if you want. Don’t open positions that are not exactly what you want. Tap on them thinking that it may be an approach to get your foot in the entryway.